Dante, MutiPlay, and audio patch issues

Started by ash97206, June 08, 2021, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ash97206

I am setting up Dante, and Multiplay won't play through the interface. I can get a test tone, but the system returns the error "Restore Patch: Invalid Audio Patch (Output 1)". This appears for outputs 1-4, which is interesting since I thought there were only 2 outputs. Still, Multiplay only recognizes the old Saffire audio outputs, and not the Dante virtual soundcard. This works on the "official" version, but the Beta seems to have trouble finding the virtual soundcard. Ideas? Thoughts?

David

Sorry, I've never used any virtual sound devices so not sure what it could be.

EdK

Hi ash97206,

Don't know if this would be helpful for you.  Although I don't use Dante,  I do use an App called VoiceMeeter by VB-Audio.  It's a virtual audio mixer.   It comes in 3 flavors:  VoiceMeeter, Voicemeeter Banana, and VoiceMeeter Potato.  Basically the only difference between them is the number of input and output channels it supports.  VB-Audio also has a product called VB-Cable (a virtual cable). 

I'm using VoiceMeeter Potato which supports up to 5 hardware input channels and 3 virtual input channels and 5 hardware output channels and 3 virtual output channels.    This can all be done without using VB-Cable.

In VoiceMeeter Potato, I can successfully route output from 4 applications into one (VoiceMeeter) virtual input and route that to any or all of it's outputs (hardware or virtual).

If I involve VB-Cable as well,  I can in effect have an additional virtual input by defining "VB-Cable Output" in one of the hardware input channels or an additional virtual output in one of VoiceMeeter's hardware output channels. 

I can (and have) routed Multiplay's output to any of VoiceMeeter's inputs and routed that to any/all of VoiceMeeter's outputs.

I'm just guessing but I suspect what you're experiencing may some configuration issue in Dante or Multiplay's definitions.  I know from working with VoiceMeeter, that Apps can be sensitive to buffer sizes, sample rates, resolutions (8, 16, 32bit), etc. 

Hopefully this info helps you.

BTW- VoiceMeeter is donation-ware.

Ed

Windows 10 Home x64
Dell XPS 7590 Intel i7-9750H
16gb RAM - 1tb SSD
GeForce GTX 1650

JasonMai

Is it because Multiplay doesn't support ASIO?

How about Dante Virtual Soundcard in WDM mode?

Gunther

What is Dante Virtual Soundcard?
Dante Virtual Soundcard turns your computer into a Dante-enabled workstation,
seamlessly integrating your PC or Mac with Dante audio devices on your network.
Dante works with software + hardware.

ash97206

@JasonMai, it works in WMD sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. One day it fires up and plays just fine, and then the instant rehearsal starts, it refuses to pass audio.

Nice Production

Have you tried using Dante VIA instead? It allows you to route outputs from individual applications to the Dante network.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

ash97206

Quote from: Nice Production on August 02, 2021, 10:55:21 PM
Have you tried using Dante VIA instead? It allows you to route outputs from individual applications to the Dante network.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

I haven't, no. At this point, I'm hesitant to put any more money into trying to get Multiplay to work reliably. We thought we had the issue of skipping/stuttering solved, but it did it again at our last gig. At least it played over the PA, so I guess that was a success of sorts. I didn't have to try to scroll through folders and fire samples from a crappy iPod while drumming, which was our only backup.

At this point, I'm looking for a more reliable platform for our needs. Multiplay worked great until a Windows update in 2019, at which point we started seeing issues. Two years later, we still seem to be struggling with it. 

ryansedillo

Hello! Last week I tried using multi play with Dante via with multi play and could not get audio to come out... I can switch to another program and it works fine. I would really love to use this with Dante via but I can not get it to work... Maybe its outputting at a different bit rate? I have not been able to dive very deep bit wondering if anyone else is using Dante with this amazing program.

Tonkutscher

Quote from: ryansedillo on March 19, 2022, 01:00:04 AM
Hello! Last week I tried using multi play with Dante via with multi play and could not get audio to come out... I can switch to another program and it works fine. I would really love to use this with Dante via but I can not get it to work... Maybe its outputting at a different bit rate? I have not been able to dive very deep bit wondering if anyone else is using Dante with this amazing program.

I think one problem is that there is no possibillity in multiplay to control the sample rate. Most Dante networks use 48kHz 24 Bit (Yamaha QL1, Rio, ...). If you trie to play 44,1 kHz in a 48 kHz network you get no sound. I would like to use Multiplay with Dante Via, cause it´s a cool peace of software

David

In Windows Vista and later, the sample rate is set via the Windows sound control panel and can't be set via any application.

Vladimir K

Hi all.
I had a big complex event where I used 3.0.183 multiplay via DVS in WDM mode (16x16 by default, no choice, Windows 10). For two days there was not a single technical failure, everything worked fine.