Monitoring video output

Started by EdK, July 16, 2021, 11:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdK

HI David or anyone else that might be able to help.

I'm finally getting a handle on MTP video window settings and Windows monitor settings but I'm still either confused or looking for something that's not possible.

In Windows 10, I have "extend this display" set on my primary monitor (which is my laptop) which simply makes the entire canvas larger...I.E. I understand how this works and it works fine. However, I've been looking for a setting in Windows where I can simply define my 2nd monitor as 'output only' . What I mean by that is I only want to send specific images/video/whatever to the 2nd monitor.  I don't want to be able to move my mouse pointer to that 2nd monitor and have it as an extension of my primary (laptop) monitor.   I haven't been able to find a setting in Windows that will allow the 2nd monitor to display only what I want to send to it.  So, I asked my son if he's been able to do what I want (he uses multiple monitors a lot).  He showed me a trick in Windows "rearrange your displays" panel where if you position monitor 2 lower right or left corner on either the upper left or right corner of monitor 1, click apply, then the mouse pointer will not appear on the 2nd monitor.  Exactly what I need from that perspective.  So during the run of a show, there's no way the mouse pointer will appear on the 2nd monitor (2nd monitor is being used to project only the  images I want on the stage).

So far so good.  However, because of where the laptop with Multiplay is located, the person running the laptop doesn't have direct line-of-sight to the images being sent to the 2nd monitor.

What I can't seem to be able to figure out in Multiplay is how to display what's being sent to the 2nd monitor on the laptop's display at the same time so the laptop operator can see what is being sent to the 2nd monitor (acting like a monitor to the 2nd monitor).

I'm mainly sending video's from Multiplay and in the video cue's properties, I can only seem to specify what 'window' to send it's images to. 

In Production Properties,  I have window 1 going to monitor 1 and window 2 going to monitor 2 and both are marked as 'active'.

Is there some setting either in Windows 10 or Multiplay or both that will allow me to see what's being sent to monitor 2  on monitor 1? 

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!  Ed

Windows 10 Home x64
Dell XPS 7590 Intel i7-9750H
16gb RAM - 1tb SSD
GeForce GTX 1650

helex

Hi Ed,

Perhaps this is a direction you can get in to.

In our theatre we are using a RGBLink Mini for this.  https://www.rgblink.com/product-detail?id=1081

Advantage is that you can have multiple inputs from multiple sources/laptops and switch the way you want and see them all in the preview window which shows all 4 inputs.
We for example use it with a laptop with MP on it and another with a PowerPoint-Presentation and we can easily switch between them.
As third device we have connected a mediaplayer which we use for showing a picture which can be used as an emergency-stop. If we have to correct something on the other laptops.

It works like a charm to switch between the sources with the T-bar.

Actually we are using the RGBLink Mini+, which is also capable to control PTZ-camera's and also has the possibility for an overlay logo.

It is very moderate priced and it gives much more control over the video-outputs.

I think this can solve your probelem and gives you many more options in your shows.

Lex

EdK

I appreciate the recommendation but right now we're in tech week and cant introduce something new into the mix but will look into it after the show.
Windows 10 Home x64
16gb RAM - 1tb SSD
GeForce GTX 1650

helex

If you have a tablet or phone around you can have a look at Spacedesk and then duplicate the 2nd screen to this as 3th screen.

Lex

thevladbs

Hello.
Hdmi Spliter?

See you,

Vladimir
Vladimir

EdK

That's an idea.   Do you know what the cable length limit is when splitting a signal?  I know normally HDMI cable length is 20meters.  I'm assuming it would be less than that when splitting a signal.
Windows 10 Home x64
16gb RAM - 1tb SSD
GeForce GTX 1650

helex

Lex