Crash on startup when Sennheiser Wireless Systems Manager is installed

Started by guiliphy, February 11, 2022, 03:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guiliphy

When Sennheiser Wireless Systems Manager is installed on the PC, MultiPlay crashes on launch. After uninstalling WSM and rebooting the PC, MultiPlay launches as normal. Reinstalling WSM causes MP to crash.

I have been able to reproduce this behaviour on multiple PCs, I have attached bug reports from both.

David

That seems to be another case of the Bonjour service detection not working correctly.

Not sure why it happens, but hopefully the fix in the upcoming v175 release will solve it.

I'll download the Sennheiser app and see if I can replicate the issue to make sure.

David

I just installed the Sennheiser software but couldn't replicate the issue.

Are you able to install Bonjour on those systems?

guiliphy

Okay, my theory is as follows: MultiPlay only crashes on startup in combination with WSM if Bonjour has never been installed before, even if it has been uninstalled since.

I installed WSM again, MP stopped working.
Uninstalled WSM, MP works.
Installed Bonjour, MP works.
Installed WSM, MP works.
Uninstalled Bonjour, MP works.
Uninstalled and then reinstalled WSM, MP works.

That would also explain why you weren't able to reproduce the error.

David

Maybe the Sennheiser version of Bonjour is older or limited in some way that MultiPlay doesn't like.

At least there's a known solution to the issue now. Thank you.

David

While I don't know yet why the exception occurs with beta v174, I can confirm that the upcoming v175 deals with it without the exception.

Maybe I'll add a message to tell the user that they need to install Bonjour if they want to use all of the upcoming features.

The message box will need a "Don't tell me again" checkbox for users that don't need those features.

David

I think I have a solution now that removes the dependency on Bonjour being installed at all.

guiliphy

Great, I have kept Bonjour away from my other machine so I can verify the fix.