New Remote Message Window

Started by David, March 13, 2022, 10:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

MultiPlay release v175 enables the new message cue. This is intended to send text to a window on a remote PC.

The new MsgWindow program can actually be run on the same PC as MultiPlay, or on any PC on the same LAN.

You can have multiple windows on the network, but only currently one per PC. They show up in the Info > Remote Nodes tab in MultiPlay.

Simply run MultiPlay and the MsgWindow programs and they will find each other. It makes no difference which one is started first.

To start with there are 4 destination window patches in Production Properties > Messaging that you can edit. I'll add the ability to add and remove patches next.

helex

Hi David,

do I need to run MP on the remote machine?

How can I find the MsgWindow programs and start it?

Thxs
Lex

David

You just only need the MsgWindow exe on whatever machine you want the message window on.

Have you downloaded it yet?

helex

Aahhh,

just missed the last part of the post.

Will play around with it and let you know.

Thanks for all the work !!!
Lex

David

For the message window program, there are options available if you right click the window.

You can drag to move and resize the window and double clicking it toggles full screen.

In MultiPlay, the window(s) will be listed in Info > Remote Nodes. Again, right click for options.

Message cues are sent to a logical group, not specific nodes so set the same group number in the window and in the Message Patch.

Message cues can alternatively be set to All Call. This will send the cue text to all message windows, regardless of their group number.

That said, a message patch can opt out of All Call so only messages sent to its group will go to it.

There's probably more I need to explain, but have a play and ask questions. :)

benbar

Hello David

How can I send special characters like for example: ä, Ö, ß, ... (in German they are called umlaut) in the remote message window.

Example: So the names of the actors Jörg & David become Jorg _David in the remote message window.
The character & becomes _ (underline).
ASCII code alt+148 or HTML code ö for the letter ö do not work unfortunately.

Thanks for the great work.
Ben

EdK

HI David,

Trying out the message cue.  So far it works.   I have a question...perhaps I'm missing something.

Is there a way to send a message without adding the message cue into the cue list? i.e.  can a message be typed directly into the message window?
Windows 10 Home x64
Dell XPS 7590 Intel i7-9750H
16gb RAM - 1tb SSD
GeForce GTX 1650

David

Ben,
I've confirmed that bug and should have it sorted in v176.

Ed,
At present the message cue is the only way to send. I can see how a separate "free form" window would be handy though.

David

Ben,
I have the umlaut and ampersand display issues sorted for MP v176 (and MsgWindow v1.0.1.0).

benbar

Hi David

Umlaut and ampersand works fine.  :)

Thank you.

Luca

Hello all,
just a quick info... maybe I am getting blind and do not see things... I am running, on the same pc, MP and MsgWindow. They both start, but, it seems they are not talking each other.
On the Info Panel, under Remote Nodes, MP does not see anything (the grid is completely empty) and MsgWindow is always in state "Waiting to Connect...".
Am I missing some config? is the UDP port 1965 where MsgW is listening to be defined into MP?
Any idea?
Many thanks!
Luca

David

It should just work without changing settings.

Do you have more than one network interface on the computer?

Luca

Yes, there are many NICs, see attached.
I tried it on a virtual machine inside the same pc where there are not so many NICs and it worked perfectly... Any suggestion to have it working on the pc with all those nics?
Thanks
Luca

David

I should have the NIC selection working in the next versions.

Luca

Hello David!
is the NIC selection working on the new version?

A big thanks for the great work your are doing.

Luca