Delayed start to cues

Started by Brian, July 14, 2022, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

ALL versions of MultiPlay, even 2.5.5.0

Hi All, here is some information for you which I have just found out.

My new HP Laptop was giving me a delay between hitting the GO button and actually starting to play the cue of about 750 milliseconds. It was fine if you hit GO for the next cue fairly soon after the previous cue had finishes playing but if the interval between the last cue finishing and hitting the GO button for the next cue to start was more than about 12 seconds then I got the delay. After much experrimenting I realised that this delay was happening with any program that used the interanl sound card. Use an external USB sound card - NO problem.

Eventually after going thru all the sound settings I noticed that I had set the default sound input to STEREO MIX. OK last resort set the input back to Microphone/line i/p.

Hey presto, the problem with the delay dissappears.

I hope that this info may be of help to others.

David

Nice find Brian. I develop MultiPlay on desktop machines so have never seen that.

jim10705

A quick search (and you can trust everything you find on the Internet ...right) is that the delay may be due to all d/encoding/buffering needed for the stereo mixing of the devices used in the stereo mix. Some individuals used voicemeeter to align multiple device output using the delay option, however there is still a delay from starting play in whatever software used to output.

I have used loopback of input for quick and dirty recording of portions of a sound effect (used under proper author permission of CC0 or paid library).  Since I only cared about recording it, the delay is not an issue.