Feature Request: Ability to add cues during playback

Started by Vladimir K, June 14, 2022, 07:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladimir K

Hi, David. Thank you for what you do.
I am using version 3.0.176
When playback is in progress, I cannot add new cues, their buttons are grey and disabled. So much need the ability to add new cues to the list. Is it possible?

David

Editing the cue list has always been disabled while there are cues running. This is to avoid playback being interrupted by the cue insert / delete / move actions. There could also be a case where the a cue dependent on another is altered causing an error, etc. I'd have to look into it more to see if there is a way to allow it in the future without causing issues.

Vladimir K

Quote from: David on June 14, 2022, 01:44:42 PMEditing the cue list has always been disabled while there are cues running. This is to avoid playback being interrupted by the cue insert / delete / move actions. There could also be a case where the a cue dependent on another is altered causing an error, etc. I'd have to look into it more to see if there is a way to allow it in the future without causing issues.
Yes, i`m understand this.
But i really hope you can do it. In QLab, this is implemented by the "edit" and "show" modes. in "show" mode you can't change anything even if nothing is playing at the moment. In "edit" mode, you can change everything, including the levels and points of the current CUE.
Maybe this can be implemented using layouts?
It would be enough for me to simply add audio cues.  ::)

David

I've had a play with allowing cues to be adding while the cue list is not stopped.

On my machines it does work with no interruption to a playing audio cue, but on slow machines it may cause an issue.

One thing to keep in mind is that inserting a cue will move the GO cursor (selected row) to the new cue. There may be other implications as well.

I might add it as an option in Preferences (default is off) to allow users to try it.

Vladimir K

Quote from: David on June 29, 2022, 11:02:15 AMI might add it as an option in Preferences (default is off) to allow users to try it.

Yes, please, David!

David

It will be in the new release. There's a lot of places the code needs changing so there may be some inconsistencies until I (and you guys) find them all.

Vladimir K

So far it works great, thanks! If something goes wrong, I'll be sure to let you know!

Vladimir K

Hi, David.
So, the first impressions. Everything works fine if I add new CUE anywhere in the project after the current one. If I add new Cue before of the current one, the following happens: the timer of the remaining time, which is in a separate window, stops. The playback continues without any errors. If I delete the new Cue, then the timer of the remaining time continues to work, as if nothing had happened. I use version 3.0.183.

David

I can replicate that issue and can guess why it's happening. When each cue starts, the program updates the number (position in the cue list) of the last cue started so the elapsed and remaining windows know which one to work with. When a cue is added before that cue, the number is no longer correct.

The same issue would occur if a cue was moved to before or after the current cue, or if any were deleted before the current cue. I will have to see if I can update that number on the fly as changes are made or change the way the elapsed / remaining windows get the reference to the cue they should be using.

David

In the next release (v184) the code correctly tracks the last active cue for updating the elapsed and remaining time windows, even if cues are added, deleted or moved while not stopped.