Main Menu

Cue Stop on Go

Started by Jancalime, September 21, 2022, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jancalime

I'm very new to this type of software in general. Is there a way to have a que stop all other currently playing music when it is the cue that triggers? Thanks!

David

There's a couple of ways you can do this.

The first is to enable Preferences > Cues > Go Fades All Other Cues and set Preferences > Cues > Fade All Time to zero. This will make the GO button act in an exclusive manner.

The other is to use a control cue set to Fade All Others. That control cue could be started by the new cue you're starting.

kproth

Hey David - can you elaborate on your second suggestion?
QuoteThe other is to use a control cue set to Fade All Others. That control cue could be started by the new cue you're starting.

I created a control cue like this, but the only ways I could see to have it "started by the new cue you're starting" is a Cue Point or a Start Play cue advance action. In either case, it ended up fading out the new cue I was trying to start also...

Your option 1 (changing the "Go Fades All Other Cues" option) meets my need if I'm doing audio-only, but I'm not sure it's quite the right solution now that I'm playing with adding MIDI Cues also. 

A bit of background of what I'm attempting, in case it helps.  I'm using this software to play songs for a Figure Skating show.  We only ever want one song at a time to be played. Usually we finish one completely and then start the next when the skaters are ready, but sometimes we need to cut a song early and go on to the next.  Before I found the "Go Fades All Other Cues" option, I'd have to click Fade All or Stop All and then quickly play the next cue, but I'd love to have an option where this happens automatically.

But, now I'm trying to add MIDI Cues, to call up lighting cues (in QLC+ by way of LoopBe).  This works GREAT by the way, but with "Go Fades All Other Cues" set active, I found that the audio stops when I click Go on a MIDI lighting Cue, which is not desired.  I can preview a MIDI cue without triggering the Fade All though; and I also found I can play a MIDI Cue by way of a HotButton without triggering the Fade All...

Would you consider a change so that "Go Fades All Other Cues" doesn't apply when clicking "Go" on certain other Cue Types (in my case, MIDI Cues)? 
Alternatively, would you consider adding another option, along the lines of "Go on Audio Cues Fades All Other (Audio) Cues"?

Thanks!

David

I'll remove the "Go Fades All Other Cues" and replace it with an "Exclusive Mode" checkbox on each cue in the advanced tab.

That way you can choose exactly which cues will cause it to happen, not just by cue type.

I've also added the new option to the Common Property Editor so it's easy to update lots of cues at once. You can use the "Select by cue type" menu item first to make it easier.

David

I've also removed the Preferences > Adlib List Solo Mode option as the new Exclusive Mode option can be used on cues in the Adlib list.

So with the new Exclusive Mode option you can specify which cues will stop all other cues. If there are some cues you don't want to be stopped by this, set their Ignore Fade All (for main list cues) or Ignore Stop All (for Adlib cues) option.

So the Exclusive Mode will fade all other cues when used in the main cue list, but stop all other cues when in the Adlib list so they do act slightly different. The Exclusive Mode option only affects cues in the same list.

Should the Exclusive Mode be selectable between Fade All and Stop All instead of just working as I have it above? That would be more flexible.

kproth

I'm looking forward to testing this change.  Making this configurable per-cue seems very smart!

Will the new Exclusive Mode flag also be configurable in the Cue Defaults?  I'd want it automatically set on any new audio cue I added.

Does the exclusive mode only take effect "once" when the cue starts playing?  I.e., does it just fire a single "fade all", and then not prevent other cues from being started manually or triggered by cue points etc?

Quote from: David on February 12, 2023, 11:57:48 AMI've also removed the Preferences > Adlib List Solo Mode option as the new Exclusive Mode option can be used on cues in the Adlib list.

I didn't even realize the adlib list had a "solo" option...

Quote from: David on February 12, 2023, 11:57:48 AMSo the Exclusive Mode will fade all other cues when used in the main cue list, but stop all other cues when in the Adlib list so they do act slightly different. The Exclusive Mode option only affects cues in the same list.

Hmm... I feel like there's an odd gray-area here, with Adlib entries becoming triggerable from Cue Points in the main list.  Splitting the exclusive mode option is probably fine, but I do wonder if I might wish that exclusive mode would automatically fade *any* playing audio, not just the audio in the same list.

Quote from: David on February 12, 2023, 11:57:48 AMShould the Exclusive Mode be selectable between Fade All and Stop All instead of just working as I have it above? That would be more flexible.

I think that hard-coding it would be fine for me.  I prefer to fade audio whenever possible.  But, thinking a little more, if someone configured a relatively long "Fade All Time", they might find they need the option to do a Stop All instead, to be able to cut off the prior song without having to wait for it to peter out.  Were you thinking this would be a global option to choose whether Exclusive Mode triggers a Fade All or a Stop All?  If you were going to make it global, what if you added an "Exclusive Mode Fade Time" setting into Preferences -> Cues?  Then, users could have a shorter fade time when switching audio cues than when they are intentionally fading to silence.  And if they set the Exclusive Mode Fade Time to 0, they'd effectively have the equivalent of a "Stop All"...

David

I was thinking of making the Exclusive Mode option settable in each cue to Normal, Stop All and Fade All via a drop down box.

The new Exclusive Mode option is only checked when GO is pressed for the main list, or when any trigger method is used for the Adlib list.

As for an Exclusive Mode affecting the other list, I'd have to think about that.

Potentially I could add the default Exclusive Mode to Preferences. It could even be on a cue type basis.

Something else I thought of was if there should be a separate global fade time specified for the Fade All option of Exclusive Mode.

kproth

Quote from: David on February 13, 2023, 09:04:36 AMSomething else I thought of was if there should be a separate global fade time specified for the Fade All option of Exclusive Mode.

100% yes.

kproth

Tested this with the latest .194 beta - works like a dream!  Thank you.

SynthKeyWizard

Quote from: David on February 13, 2023, 09:04:36 AMSomething else I thought of was if there should be a separate global fade time specified for the Fade All option of Exclusive Mode.

Is it possible to add an option to use an individual cue fadeout time, specified different for a different cues in their properties?

Also I tested an exclusive mode and it works great, but, for my opinion, it would be better to put a global fadeout time for an exclusive mode to a production properties instead of preferences. In that case we'll have an individual setting per production.
Dmitry Yeryomin, sounddesigner.

David

I was thinking of adding a Fade Time control next to the Exclusive Mode in Cue Properties.

This would make it even more customisable and be on a per production basis too.

Maybe the default for Fade Time would be gotten from the one in Preferences?

I'm still pondering about if Exclusive Mode should be checked just on GO, or for MIDI, OSC, etc as well.

There could be check boxes in Preferences to configure those options.

David

Just an update to say that from v203 onward, the Exclusive Mode will work no matter how the cue is triggered.