Trigger Spotify playlist

Started by Jpennin5, October 22, 2022, 01:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpennin5

Is there a way to trigger a Spotify playlist with this software?

David

Did you want to play the Spotify playlist in their desktop app or web based player?

StageBrewer

Does anyone have an answer for this? Whether playing through the Spotify app or website, whichever is easier, how would I add streamed music as a sound cue?

Doing so would make fading out preshow music and transitioning into prerecorded director's speech and then the show much easier.

David

So you want to use Spotify for the pre-show music instead of local audio files?

You'd need to have a premium subscription as you can't control the free (with adverts) version.

If the streaming was to be integrated into MultiPlay it wouldn't be something easy to code.

It may be possible to do, but using local files and known availability (not web streams) would be best.

jim10705

Spotify is strictly for personal usage only now.  The theater, in the US, where I work/volunteer checked license. We cannot stream Spotify music for any event open to the public (even if there is no charge. We are a non-profit community theater). We are covered by ASCAP contract or other licensed source. Spotify might have different licensing outside of US.
Now, if I am setting/programming stage lighting or other technical work in the house, I might play Spotify for my personal enjoyment but as soon as others arrive I turn off Spotify.

David

I only have a free Spotify account and rarely use it.

When I checked their development site is shows this everywhere:

jim10705

In addition, the US Spotify terms and conditions include:

"...we grant to you limited, non-exclusive, revocable permission to make personal, non-commercial use of the Spotify Service and the Content (collectively, "Access")..."

"...You agree that you will not redistribute or transfer the Spotify Service or the Content"
"The following is not permitted for any reason whatsoever...copying, reproducing, redistributing, "ripping," recording, transferring, performing, framing, linking to or displaying to the public, broadcasting, or making available to the public, or any other use which is not expressly permitted under the Agreements or applicable law, or which otherwise infringes intellectual property rights..."

helex

Quote from: jim10705 on June 09, 2023, 01:08:45 AMSpotify is strictly for personal usage only now.  The theater, in the US, where I work/volunteer checked license. We cannot stream Spotify music for any event open to the public (even if there is no charge. We are a non-profit community theater). We are covered by ASCAP contract or other licensed source. Spotify might have different licensing outside of US.
Now, if I am setting/programming stage lighting or other technical work in the house, I might play Spotify for my personal enjoyment but as soon as others arrive I turn off Spotify.
I fully agree - you don't want to be dependent of a network-connection for a live-event.
We also are a non-profit theater and Spotify doesn't suit our needs.
We always want the files physically present on our machines. We also do funerals (our theatre used to be a church) and you don't want anything to go wrong during that.
As an alternative you could use Deemix to download music (also in Flac), but you do need a Deezer account for that.
Lex