No control cue type in Ad-Lib list

Started by c2j9w, May 30, 2023, 09:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c2j9w

Hi there,

I  was hoping to control a volume of a particular cue (I know how to control the system volume but I have overlapping cues) hopefully via OSC or an Ad-Lib list mapped to a ps2 buzz controller or keyboard keys independently of the main cue list. If community theatre didn't have to rent a hall for limited access and had their own facilities I would have the time to exactly get the volumes right and would use the main cue list control cue to do this.

Anyway, since volume control of a particular cue isn't implemented via OSC yet...

I looked at using Ad-Lib cues however there does not seem to be the option to insert a Control Cue in a Ad-Lib list

I know you can control a cue's volume on the fly using a mouse via the Cue Controls but this is a bit fiddly as you have to go up to access the currently playing cue (but you want the next cue to be able to be immediately played)

Currently, I have the keyboard shortcuts for go, fade all, stop all and up down mapped to a game controller using JoyToKey.

I can't seem to find a way to easily change to do this.

David

I revisited my decision not to allow control cues in the adlib list. It was probably to do with some control types having options that were not compatible. Release v195 will see them available for the adlib list. There may be some quirks with control actions that don't quite suit being in the adlib list but we can fine tune that later.

In the meantime, you can still use those control cues in the main cue list. Just put them all out of the way at the end of the show and leave their Advance Action to No Action.

c2j9w

Thank you for your prompt response. I will test it later. So I assume I set keyboard hotkeys for the control cues are at the end of the file.

I also thought of alternative solution which I will post here in case others are interested. Multiplay allows multiple sound outputs. VoiceMeeter Banana (Donationware) allows 2 virtual inputs. I can map to two sound outputs to virtual sound inputs and have a singular sound output which I used before. I can use the VoiceMeeter Remote C or Python Wrapper API and use socket programming re client and server with JoyToKey to control the volume with my PS2 buzz controller OR if feeling adventurous use a Wii balance board as an joystick as 4 buttons....

David

The control cues at the end of the main cue list will act the same as they would if they were in the adlib list. The main difference being that when they are in the adlib list there's no Advance Action available.

Putting them in the adlib list is cleaner of course, but until I release v195 putting them at the end of the main cue list will work fine.

jim10705

c2j9w,

I noticed the various devices you use for controlling MultiPlay and other apps on PC.  Has your group considered using Elgato StreamDeck for controlling apps and other components of Windows?  If needed, there is an app for Android and iPhone for remote control over wifi network connection. I have streamdeck buttons configured for navigating cue list (using OSC plug-in), showing videos on theater's screen using OBS and playing local music play lists on the PC.

David

Quote from: c2j9w on May 30, 2023, 09:38:28 AMAnyway, since volume control of a particular cue isn't implemented via OSC yet...

You can control the volume of either the currently selected or a specific cue:
/cue/current/livevolume
/cue/cue-id/livevolume

The OSC argument in this case is the absolute level in dB (integer from -60 to 0).

I'm now adding an OSC command to release 195 to adjust it in a relative manner:
/cue/current/livevolumerel
/cue/cue-id/livevolumerel

The OSC argument in this case is the integer amount to decrease or increase the level in dB.
Negative arguments decrease the level and positive ones increase the level.

All volume changes are capped at the minimum and maximum levels.

I can look at adding keyboard shortcuts to increase and decrease the currently selected cue's volume.
There will need to be a setting somewhere to specify the amount to increment / decrement by on each press.

c2j9w

Quote from: jim10705 on June 01, 2023, 09:54:29 AMc2j9w,

I noticed the various devices you use for controlling MultiPlay and other apps on PC.  Has your group considered using Elgato StreamDeck for controlling apps and other components of Windows?  If needed, there is an app for Android and iPhone for remote control over wifi network connection. I have streamdeck buttons configured for navigating cue list (using OSC plug-in), showing videos on theater's screen using OBS and playing local music play lists on the PC.

Hi Jim.

Sorry, only saw in notifications about your post.

We're a community theatre so I cannot see us purchasing Elgato SteamDeck.

I volunteer as a Sound Tech. I'm also studying programming at Uni. Others probably would just control the Master Volume on the Sound Mixer - I have found that depending on how full the hired venue is I need to modify the sound volume.

For that production I had lightning in the background with another cue going over the top. I think I had another instance of overlapping cues of different volume. So I just used 2 virtual outputs and just used the gamepad with python code with JoyToKey. Didn't use the buzz controllers or the wii board... (I had an instance at a practice where I tripped over the cords of the buzz controller)

Apologies for not seeing your post before now.

David,
May investigate your /cue/cue/id/livevolumerel sometime.