Playlist of songs each with Start/End points?

Started by mprw, January 25, 2024, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mprw

Is there any way to create a playlist of full length songs, but be able to set Start/End points for each track?

Thanks.

David

Not at present. Eventually I hope to add a group cue, which can have multiple cues in it.

klonghofer

I'd like to plus one this!  It would be great to be able to trim the dead air at the front of a file in a playlist.  Bonus points if one could individually tweak volumes on playlist entries.  Thanks David!  Love the software.

David

Adding start and end times to the underlying code will not be too difficult, but I'm not sure how I'll implement the user interface for it.

The file list could change to a grid with a set of controls that show the start, end and possibly volume for the selected grid entry. I could also add the same auto trim controls like audio cues have.

David

I've started implementing the grid to replace the current file list for play list cues.

The file name column won't show any path information, just the base file name. If you hover over the file name cell, a hint will show the full path or the file. I think this will be a cleaner look.

When previewing a play list, a progress bar will show in the file name cell for the current file. It uses the same progress colours (play, paused, end warning) as the cue lists.

I'm not sure how the interval status will show yet. Perhaps it will just be the overall time counter ticking over with no progress on any grid item.

The Previous and Next buttons have been moved out of the play list section to be next to the Pause button. In due course those buttons will work for other cue types with multiple items where an interval time is set.

You'll notice that each play list file now shows it's duration in the new grid. I've put some placeholder columns in for start and end points as well as one for volume. I'm not sure exactly how the display and editing of these values will be done yet.

David

I've been working on the start and stop positions and how they are adjusted.

Just like the cue lists, you'll be able to select one or more play list items in the grid. Right clicking the grid will then show a popup menu. It will have various operations to sort, reverse or randomise the list order just like there is now.

The same menu will also be used to either find or reset the start or stop position of the selected file(s). If more than one file is selected when the menu is activated the operation will apply to all of the selected files.

So for example you'll be able to select all files, then find the start and end positions just like you currently do with audio cues, but for every file selected. This will make trimming of the leading and trailing silence very quick and easy. Maybe instead of separate operations for Find Start, Find End, Reset Start and Reset End there could just be Trim Start / End and Reset Start / End ?

Would there be any real need to set the start and end positions manually? I would have thought that trimming the silence is all you really need for play list files.

Eventually I'd like to add functions to the same menu to normalise the volumes across the play list.

mprw

The dead air trim is good, but there may be cases where you want a playlist of songs to start before a chorus or a good "pump-up" point.
Will there be an option to disable the dead-air trim (globally or individually)?

Another use case is baseball walk-up songs. For tournaments we may want to have a random list of songs that are all queued to the best "walk-up" point for visiting teams.

David

A bit more progress today. Trimming the start and stop positions based on the -90dB threshold is working.

I'll have to have a think about how to implement setting the start and stop positions of each play list item.

David

A few more things done today.

The first is a hint balloon that pops up when you hover over the left cell in the grid. It will show you the full path / filename for the selected item in the grid. I changed it to only pop up over the left column as it tended to get in the way when right clicking in other parts of the grid.

The second is a menu option to open the file location of the selected item in the grid. This will open up a File Explorer window with that file already highlighted.

Lastly you can use the CTRL + A shortcut to select all files in the grid for bulk trimming, deleting, etc.