Bluetooth Comms not working properly

Started by christopher.j.jones, February 22, 2024, 12:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

christopher.j.jones

Been using v 2.5.5.0 in shows for many years. One of the things I frequently do is connect a second audio output to a bluetooth speaker, for e.g. someone carrying a crying baby around on stage. All works fine with V 2.5.5.0. Set up exactly the same scenario in various versions of V 3.0.???.0 (latest one was V 3.0.209.0) and on triggering that cue, no sound in the speaker. The audio settings in the 'Production Properties - General' menu recognises and accepts the bluetooth speaker identity, so it knows it's there and is set on Output 2. The cue properties also have Output 2 selected to direct the audio to the bluetooth speaker. When the cue is triggered, the remaining time does not count down and on re-highlighting the cue line, there is a red right pointing arrow in the first cue column instead of a green arrow. However, there are no error messages along the menu bar at the top. Currently running Windows 11 on the laptop. I have tried both versions one after the other a number of times on the same PC boot up with the results above, V 2.5.5.0 works and V 3.0.209.0 does not. Other applications can access the bluetooth speaker without any problem. Thank you for all your efforts on a really good, easy to use program. I love it.

David

As a test, can you try playing something to the BT speaker via another app just before the cue is fired and see if the cue audio works.

christopher.j.jones

Yes, tried music program and also Multiplay 2.5.5.0 with the same sound effect, both just before switching to Multiplay 3.0.209.0. and they worked fine, but not V 3.0.209.0.

christopher.j.jones

Forgot to add, had both versions open in different windows and switched between them. Thanks.

David

Can you upload a screenshot of your audio patch screen or email me the production file?

David

For localised sound effects I wonder if playing it on a mobile phone would be an option. It would need to be triggered via an OSC or other network message.

There used to be an application called Stage Caller which did this, but as far as I know it's discontinued and can only be run of quite old Android OS's. Not sure about Apple devices.

Writing such an app is something I'd like to have a go at eventually, probably only for Android though.

christopher.j.jones

Hi, bit of an update:  Actually, I do use Stage Caller occasionally, it works fine. When you asked me to do the test on V3 (V3.0.209.0), I did it in not ideal circumstances, (so apologies for duff info), so I did it under more controlled conditions at home. Interesting results, I loaded both V2 (V2.5.5.0) and V3 in separate windows, first making sure that the laptop had connected to the bluetooth speaker. When I ran V2 first, V3 also then worked. When I ran V3 first, neither of them worked. Both audio patch screens showed the speaker in the list and both were assigned to Output 2. Output 1 was assigned to an external Soundblaster dongle, which worked in all configurations.

I have attached the Output Patch screenshots as requested. Although they look a bit small here. They are perfectly readable in the original JPG format. Let me know if there is a problem here. It is only Outputs 1 and 2 that I use. You will probably notice that the other outputs contain different combinations, this is where I did a bit of experimenting. All results exactly the same as already stated.

Thanks

David

It's hard to know if the issue is related to Windows 11, that particular BT speaker or a combination of both.

Testing the same speaker on a different computer and / or version of Windows would be interesting.

Clicking on the screenshot thumbnails will expand them.

jim10705

Any chance that option for exclusive lock of audio driver is a factor (?)  I had to disable exclusive lock in order to get Audacity, MultiPlay and other sound apps to play well together when using the same output device.

David

Where did you change the exclusive lock property?

jim10705

It's actually a property of the audio device, not the driver (Sorry).  Here's a link to a website that shows how to remove exclusive control/lock:

https://support.source-elements.com/source-connect/windows-tips-for-audio-how-to-disable-exclusive-mode-in-sound-control-panel

David

christopher.j.jones

Just an update. Tried it on a completely different make of laptop (still running Windows 11) and a different bluetooth speaker. Still the same results. Also, checked the exclusive control mentioned above, that is not the issue. Thanks

David

There's nothing I can really do about this without being able to replicate the issue myself sorry.