RE: Message Window Protocol

Started by c2j9w, April 25, 2024, 08:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c2j9w

Hi there,

I was wondering what the UDP protocol is for the message window so I can try to see if I look on GitHub and see if I can modify an open source android project that process UDP to display the text on an Android phone. I have modified an old Android app previously to trigger OSC cues.

You use a default port 1965.

Using Wireshark, I have found UDP messages such as

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<DA-SHARE>
  <Message Type="6"/>
  <Device Type="2"/>
  <Display Expiry="5000" DisplayStyle="0">
    <Line Centre="Hello&amp;#xD;TESTING"/>
  </Display>
</DA-SHARE>

and maybe pings to show active computers in the form of

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<DA-SHARE>
  <Message Type="1"/>
  <Device Type="2" Name="MsgWindow" Version="1.0.4.0"/>
  <Node Name="Laptop 2" Group="1"/>
</DA-SHARE>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<DA-SHARE>
  <Message Type="1"/>
  <Device Type="2" Name="MsgWindow" Version="1.0.4.0"/>
  <Node Name="Laptop 1" Group="1"/>
</DA-SHARE>

I am happy at the moment with just details about how to send just plain text.

Thanks a lot.

c2j9w

Maybe I can just send UDP network messages... from Multiplay

David

The messages are simple xml files.

Port 1965 is used as the discovery port so remote windows can broadcast and reach MultiPlay the first time without knowing the IP address.

MultiPlay then sends an acknowledgement message so the remote window knows it's connected.

The remote windows ping regularly so MultiPlay knows they are still online.

So there is a fair bit of back and forth message wise.

Maybe for your initial app, UDP network cues would be the easiest to get up and running.

I am looking into making an Android app in due course, but there's no enough hours in the day just now.

c2j9w

Hi David,

I'd managed to get the pings working sending from another android app that sends UDP messages. Didn't manage to get the messages display when sending a message from the android app that sends UDP message. Tried hex and ascii pasted from Wireshark.

Can totally relate to the not enough hours in the day. Might wait until Uni holiday break to work on this more and read up on UDP and other network stuff.

As a community theatre, we have thought of another possible solution for the moment.

I did notice the "pings" were about every second or so.

Thank you

David

The xml messages sent to MultiPlay or the remote window need to be correctly formatted for them to be accepted.

c2j9w

That's why I copied the hex captured by WireShark for message display as I noticed there was some line endings.

I was confused why the "pings" were accepted but not the other.